Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lincoln



Lincoln is directed by Steven Spielberg and stars Daniel Day Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, Joseph Gordon Levitt, James Spader, and Jackie Earle Haley.


Abraham Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis) tries to pass the 13th Amendment, which will abolish slavery, which will end the Civil War, which has claimed many lives. He has to plead with the House of Representatives to end slavery, which will need to have a number of votes to ratify the 13th Amendment. The House, compiled of mostly Republicans, think slavery shouldn't be abolished, but Lincoln wants to support the amendment.



I have been stoked to seeing Lincoln ever since I found out that Steven Spielburg was going to bring it to completion. What I didn't know was that it isn't as much about Lincoln’s life as it is more about the passing the 13th amendment. I was shocked at how much I loved Lincoln. Daniel Day Lewis proves yet again why he is one of the best actors of this generation. He looks and sounds like Lincoln and you really think of him as the embodiment of Abraham Lincoln. Sally Field was great as well, playing Mary Todd Lincoln. Tommy Lee Jones was the real standout here, playing Thaddeus Stevens. He impressed me and showed me that he could get nominated for supporting actor at the Oscars.

The set design was great. The setting put you into 1865, at the time of Lincoln’s last months. Everything about Lincoln shined in this film. from the performances to the music and direction style, Lincoln is a masterpiece all on it’s own. I predict that there will be some Oscar nominations, like Best Film, Actor, Actress, Supporting actor, director, screenplay, makeup, costume and set design. I would really recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment